The use of an herbal pest control option is a safer alternative for pest management. Also known as natural pest control methods, this strategy relies on the use of biological, naturally occurring materials to bring down the levels of pest infestation. Chemical pest control, on the other hand, is dependent on the use of toxic chemicals collectively called pesticides to manage and reduce pest population.
Natural pest control options are an eco-friendly alternative and are as effective as chemical pesticides. In special cases, natural compounds are clubbed with chemical pesticides for improved pest control.
Herbal pest control falls under the category of natural pest control wherein the pest management is through the application of herbal products.
What are herbal pesticides and its advantages?
Herbal pest control solutions are made from vegetable, herb and fruit sources. Many vegetables are known to have an active pesticide component. A pesticide is labeled as herbal when it has the following properties:
- They degrade rapidly on exposure to sunlight
- The degraded components are non-toxic
- These compounds act by reducing the appetite of the insect and not by killing it
- The lethal dosage is low at > Oral 50 so are safe for humans and animals
- Are fast acting
- Possesses a broader spectrum of control
- They are selective in action
- Even pests that have developed an immunity to chemical agents are susceptible to herbal agents
- A strong nervous stomach poison
Examples of Organic or herbal pesticides
A few examples of herbal pesticides are:
- Tobacco: Nicotine, the active component in tobacco, apart from inducing a smoker’s high is also a neurotoxin which is poisonous to common pests like caterpillar, thrips, aphids and a few fungi on contact.
- Neem: The active component of neem, azadirachtin, salanin and meliantriol is a well-documented pest repellant. Neem has a broad spectrum activity and is effective against the infestation of fungal spores, leafhoppers, white butterfly and 200 other species of soft bodied insects.
- Tube roots: Rotenon is an active component which kills the appetite of insects. Continued exposure to tube root can also lead to insect death. Tuba roots are a berspktrum poison which is an effective contact pesticide.
Pest control companies in Singapore offer green choices as well. Herbal pest control options are ideal for homes with gardens. These are easy to apply and are effective.